Country queen Reba McEntire is putting touches on The Voice as a full-time coach for season 24 — but the “Consider Me Gone” singer has a long history with the NBC hit. She initially appeared on the singing contest in 2011 as a battle adviser to Blake Shelton’s team — after passing up an invitation to take one of the reality show’s red chairs or its TV launch.
The Oklahoma native, 68, has also served as a series mentor multiple times and was named 2023’s mega mentor. Here are 10 things you don’t know about the Nashville icon.
1. She's the daughter of Clark McEntire.
Clark McEntire was three-time world champion steer roper, who was inducted into the National Rodeo Hall of Fame in 1988.
2. She nearly had a different career.
While enrolled at Southeastern Oklahoma university, she studied to become an elementary teacher.
3. Red Steagall helped her snag a record deal.
Cowboy singer Red Steagall helped her secure a deal with Mercury Records after being impressed by her performance of the national anthem at the 1974 National Rodeo Finals.
4. She nearly missed her Grand Ole Opry debut.
McEntire almost missed her Grand Ole Opry debut in 1977 because her name was erroneously left off the list of performers given to security.
5. She passed on the song 'Does Fort Worth Ever Cross Your Mind' because it made a reference to beer.
The tune went on to become a number one hit for George Strait in 1984.
6. McEntire turned down Faith Hill.
She rejected future superstar Faith Hill when the unknown talent auditioned to be one of her backup singers.
7. Her hobbies include fishing and trap and skeet shooting.
Somehow, this one doesn't shock us too much.
8. She almost starred in 'Titanic.'
McEntire was offered the role of Unsinkable Molly Brown and director James Cameron's Titanic but had to bail on the lengthy project due to two concert commitments — and the part ultimately went to Misery’s Kathy Bates.
9. She was the victim of a death hoax.
In 2012, she was the victim of an internet death hoax, which claimed she fell off a mountain in Austria.
10. Her favorite Thanksgiving side dish is sweet potatoes.
And we think that is a solid choice!