It's that time of year again — Sober October! In honor of cutting out alcohol for the month — or all year around, if that's also your thing — Hilary Sheinbaum, author of The Dry Challenge, exclusively tells Morning Honey what her top non-alcoholic cocktails and beverages are during this season — and no, they aren't boring!
"Sober October is a really popular month (second to Dry January) to go without booze. For some, it can be a health-conscious reset before the holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Eve) and it can also be an opportunity to be more aware of day-to-day drinking habits!" she shares. "During Sober October, Dry January and any other alcohol-free month, I like to replace alcoholic bevs with nonalcoholic ones. If I'm going to brunch, I try to check the menus first. One of my favorite restaurants in Manhattan, Lamalo, has two N.A. cocktails on their menu made with Damrak 0.0%. And, if you don't want to pull up 100 menus before noon, a great tool to use is The Better Without app, which can help people find bars and restaurants with non alc offerings. I'm definitely not a professional bartender, but when I can, I'll try to make my own N.A. concoctions at home — or I just grab them out of the fridge. That said, right now, I'm loving these drinks..."
Scroll through the gallery to see the expert's fun concoctions below!
Meyer Lemon Sour
- 3 oz Free Spirits - The Spirit of Bourbon
- 0.75 oz Meyer lemon juice
- 0.75 oz simple syrup
- 0.25 oz aquafava (strained liquid from can of chickpeas)
- In an iced cocktail shaker, add all ingredients and shake well.
- Strain over ice in a coupe glass.
- Garnish with a meyer lemon peel.
Freixenet Alcohol-Removed Green Glory (by Dan Magro)
- Freixenet Alcohol-Removed Sparkling White
- 1.5 ounces Green Apple Cucumber Sorbet
- Cucumber (for garnish)
- Mint (for garnish)
- Using a melon baller, scoop 3 tiny scheres of sorbet and place in a coupe glass.
- Gently pour Freixenet Alcohol-Removed Sparkling White over the cocktail, allowing fizz to settle when needed.
- Garnish with fresh mint and cucumber slices.
Skinny Pink Sangria
- 1 Bottle Starla Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 Cup frozen blueberries
- 1 Cup frozen peach slices
- 1 Cup frozen mango chunks
- 1/2 Orange, juiced
- 3 Packets Stevia (sweetener of choice)
- Sparkling Water
- Lemon slices
1. Add frozen fruit, orange juice and sweetener to a pitcher and stir gently.
2. Add wine and let it sit in the fridge for 4 or more hours.
3. When ready to serve, fill a glass with ice, pour over pink sangria and top with a splash of sparkling water.
4. Garnish with fresh lemon slices.
Sir. James 101 Mojito
"I love this ready-to-drink beverage because you don't have to mix or muddle. Just pop open the top, and you have a well-balanced N.A. cocktail! If you want to get a little creative, you can add pineapple, fresh lime and a sprig of mint for a Pineapple Mojito. Yum!" Sheinbaum says.