or
Sign in with lockrMail
Donald Trump
Source: Wikimedia Commons/Gage Skidmore

Critics denounce Donald Trump's newly announced Anti-Weaponization Fund.

'Greatest Abuse': Trump Faces Heavy Backlash Over $1.77B Anti-Weaponization Fund

May 19 2026, Published 7:04 a.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to Email

The Department of Justice (DOJ) has announced a new $1.77 billion Anti-Weaponization Fund following a settlement agreement regarding President Donald Trump's lawsuit against the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).

Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche announced that the fund will “provide a systematic process to hear and redress claims of others who suffered weaponization and lawfare.”

In simple terms, the fund, announced on Monday, May 18, is set to compensate people who claim they were unfairly targeted during the tenure of former President Joe Biden.

According to reports, this was created after Trump agreed to drop his $10 billion lawsuit against the IRS over the leak of his confidential tax returns, and allegedly settled for the $1.77 billion Anti-Weaponization Fund.

Article continues below advertisement

How Will the Fund Be Used?

Source: X/@julie_kelly2

An X post on the $1.776 billion Anti-Weaponization Fund.

The newly announced $1.77 billion Anti-Weaponization Fund has already raised questions about how the program will operate and who will receive compensation.

In addition, the move is being seen as part of Trump’s broader pledge to seek “retribution” for his supporters.

Earlier, after taking the oath for his second tenure, Trump had pardoned nearly 1,500 people convicted of crimes linked to the Capitol riot.

Meanwhile, a spokesperson for Trump's legal team told CBS News that the president "is entering into this settlement squarely for the benefit of the American people.”

The spokesperson stated, “He [Trump] will continue his fight to hold those who wrong America and Americans accountable.”

Yet, as Democrats and ethics experts were quick to criticize and call out the fund, Blanche released a signed memorandum to explain how the fund would be processed.

Turns out, the Treasury Department will transfer the $1.77 billion into a separate account within 60 days “for the sole use” of the fund.

The program will then be managed by a five-member commission appointed by the attorney general.

Article continues below advertisement

Further, the commission will have the authority to issue formal apologies and monetary compensation to approved claimants.

In addition, one member will be chosen "in consultation with congressional leadership.”

Finally, the memorandum revealed that the fund will stop processing claims on December 15, 2028, just over a month before the next president is inaugurated.

Any leftover amount remaining in the fund will revert back to the federal government.

Who Will Receive the Money and What Are People's Concerns?

Now, while the memorandum explained the process, questions are growing over who will be eligible for compensation under the fund.

The DOJ stated that there are “no partisan requirements to file a claim,” but critics believe many of Trump’s political allies could benefit.

Democrats and critics of this fund believe January 6 rioters pardoned by Trump, former Trump officials and conservative activists who previously fought legal battles with the DOJ might be the ones to actually claim this taxpayer-funded money.

Article continues below advertisement

As a result, the fund has triggered strong backlash.

Liz Oyer, a former pardon attorney at the DOJ said in an interview with CBS News, “This is the greatest abuse of the legal system in history, so far as I'm concerned.”

She added, “There's no transparency. The five members of the fund appear to have total discretion to award money to whomever they choose.”

“There does not appear to be any oversight mechanism. There's no process for public input. It appears that these five people have complete discretion to give away our money to whomever they choose,” Oyer stated.

She, however, isn't the only one raising concerns. Nonprofit Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) also condemned the fund.

Calling it “the most brazen act of self-dealing in the history of the presidency,” CREW president Donald K. Sherman said in a statement, “While Americans are struggling with an affordability crisis, President Trump plans to use nearly $1.8 billion in taxpayer money to pay off his friends and allies.”

Advertisement

Get On the List.

Say Morning Honey! Sign up here.

More Stories

Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2026 MORNING HONEY™️. A DIVISION OF MYSTIFY ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK INC. MORNING HONEY is a registered trademark. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Cookies Policy. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services. Offers may be subject to change without notice.