
Joe Walsh calls President Donald Trump 'deranged' in a call for resistance.
Ex-GOP Congressman Says Trump Is a ‘Deranged Sociopath,’ Calls for Resistance
May 22 2026, Updated 12:02 p.m. ET
Former Republican Rep. Joe Walsh urged Americans to “resist” President Donald Trump after the administration's proposed “anti-weaponization” fund faced pushback from lawmakers in both parties.
Walsh, who represented Illinois in the House from 2011 to 2013, posted this warning Wednesday on X. This followed reports that the Justice Department was planning a $1.8 billion fund to compensate people the administration claims were targeted by government "lawfare."
“Good morning, this is what the world looks like with a dishonest, deranged sociopath in the White House. And this is what the world looks like without a United States Congress,” Walsh wrote. “Keep your head down. Take care of your family. Stay engaged. Never give up. Resist. Always resist.”
Walsh's post came as Republicans and Democrats expressed concerns about the proposed fund, which emerged from a settlement linked to Trump’s lawsuit against the IRS over leaked tax records.
Reuters reported that Senate Republicans met with Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche to seek more details about the plan, including how the money would be distributed and who would qualify.
The fund has faced criticism because lawmakers worry it could benefit Trump allies and individuals convicted in connection with the January 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol. Senate Majority Leader John Thune stated that Republican senators had significant issues with the fund's purpose and oversight, according to Reuters.
This dispute also delayed action on a $72 billion immigration enforcement funding bill. Reuters noted that Republican resistance to the fund, along with opposition to Trump’s request for $1 billion for a new White House ballroom, hindered a planned Senate vote before the Memorial Day recess.
Blanche told reporters that the Justice Department was creating “a lawful process for victims of lawfare and weaponization to be heard and seek redress,” according to NewtownPANow, citing the Pennsylvania Capital-Star. Trump defended the plan, stating that the people who would receive money were “weaponized and really treated brutally by a system that was so corrupt.”
Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick, R-Pa., and Rep. Tom Suozzi, D-N.Y., planned to introduce legislation to stop the fund, according to the Washington Examiner. The outlet reported that lawmakers opposed the fund’s eligibility rules and potential payments to those accused or convicted of attacking Capitol Police.
Walsh has become one of Trump’s most vocal former Republican critics. He ran against Trump for the Republican presidential nomination in 2020 and later left the party.
Politico reported last year that Walsh had registered as a Democrat while still identifying as conservative.
His latest statement also criticized Congress for failing to act as a check on Trump. This post followed several days of debate on Capitol Hill about whether the Justice Department could create and run the fund without stricter congressional limits.
The White House and Justice Department have defended the fund as a solution for people they say were targeted for political reasons. Critics, including members of Trump’s own party, argue the proposal gives the administration too much control over taxpayer money and could reward political loyalists.
Walsh’s comments added a strong Republican voice to the backlash. His post did not call for violence but urged political resistance and personal caution as lawmakers consider whether to block the fund.
