or
Sign in with lockrMail
JD Vance
Source: The White House/YouTube

JD Vance's Iran conference garners controversy.

JD Vance’s Iran Press Conference Went Sideways Almost Immediately

May 20 2026, Published 4:20 p.m. ET

Link to FacebookShare to XShare to Email

Vice President JD Vance used a White House press briefing on Tuesday to defend President Donald Trump's handling of the Iran conflict, a new compensation fund for Trump allies, and the administration's economic record.

However, the session quickly grew tense as reporters pressed him on foreign policy, gas prices, and taxpayer spending.

Vance, standing in for press secretary Karoline Leavitt during her maternity leave, took questions from reporters for nearly an hour.

Article continues below advertisement
Source: @atrupar/X

Vance denies that President Donald Trump makes stock trades.

The briefing came amid rising pressure on the Trump administration over the war with Iran, increasing fuel prices, and a newly created $1.7 billion fund for those who claim they faced political prosecution.

Vance began the briefing by referring to the Iran conflict as "the Iran situation" and mentioned that the administration saw two possible paths ahead.

"There are two options, two pathways we can go down when it comes to the Iran situation," Vance stated, according to a Roll Call transcript. "What the president of the United States has said is, number one, Iran can never have a nuclear weapon."

He noted that the administration was still working toward a diplomatic solution with Tehran but warned that military action could resume if talks did not succeed.

"We believe we’ve made a lot of progress. We think the Iranians want to make a deal," Vance said. "We’re in a pretty good spot here, but there’s a plan B. And plan B is that we could restart the military campaign."

He added that Trump was ready to act when needed.

Article continues below advertisement

"So as the president just told me, we’re locked and loaded," Vance said, according to Spectrum News and The Associated Press. "We don’t want to go down that route, but the president is willing and ready if we have to."

These comments followed Trump’s announcement that he had postponed another round of strikes on Iran. Spectrum News reported that Trump stated he had been "an hour away" from deciding to launch new strikes before he called off the attack on Monday.

Vance also tried to reassure Americans that the conflict would not lead to a lasting U.S. military commitment.

"This is not a forever war," Vance said, according to Reuters. "We’re going to take care of business and come home."

The Iran conflict has added political pressure on the administration. Reuters reported that the war, which started on February 28, has impacted global oil trade and contributed to rising U.S. gas prices.

Source: @atrupar/X

Vance criticizes drone attacks and talks about the ceasefire.

Article continues below advertisement

Vance told reporters that the administration expected prices to decline once the situation in the Middle East improved.

"We’re taking several steps to push back against it and to ensure that Americans pay as little at the pump as possible," he said.

The briefing also touched on the administration's new compensation fund for individuals who claim they were targeted by political prosecutions. Reuters reported that Vance did not rule out using taxpayer money to compensate individuals convicted of assaulting police officers during the January 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol.

Vance defended the fund, stating it was open to more than just Republicans.

"This is about compensating Americans for the lawfare that we saw under the last administration," Vance said. "And by the way, anyone can apply for it. Republicans can apply for it; Democrats can apply for it."

The exchange became sharper when reporters pressed Vance on the economy, Trump’s stock purchases, and foreign policy. He also responded to European criticism over U.S. troop decisions, noting that part of America's defense spending reflected its military presence in Europe.

The briefing took place two weeks after Secretary of State Marco Rubio also appeared in the White House briefing room. Reuters reported that both men are considered potential contenders for the 2028 Republican nomination, although Vance rejected that notion on Tuesday.

"I’m not a potential future candidate," Vance stated. "I’m a vice president, and I really like my job."

Advertisement

Get On the List.

Say Morning Honey! Sign up here.

More Stories

Opt-out of personalized ads

© Copyright 2026 MORNING HONEY™️. A DIVISION OF MYSTIFY ENTERTAINMENT NETWORK INC. MORNING HONEY is a registered trademark. All rights reserved. Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service, Privacy Policy and Cookies Policy. People may receive compensation for some links to products and services. Offers may be subject to change without notice.